Be Creative. Reinvent your storage.




This chick has a secret to share. Well it’s not really a secret if you have ever been to my home. I am a clutter bird from knick-knacks to my third grade science paper, check one of my closets and you will find it. I have a love affair with stuff!

But lately, since I’m getting older and the thought of moving all this stuff to a new place has caused me to do some downsizing in my life.

To all the pack chicks like myself, I’ve read that if you just do a purging you will end up right where you started. You have to make a lifestyle change, just as you would with losing weight. Check out clutterdiet.com to get tips on how to reduce the clutter in your life.

Here are some tips that I have used in the last few months.

Be creative with your storage.
1. Once I started getting rid of clutter my first thought was to buy all these cute new boxes for storage. But my sister was more creative. I had bright colored chip bins in my kitchen that were used for my son’s birthday party ages ago. They became bins for crayons, stray pens, and markers.

2. My old coffee table fit perfectly in my closet, and became the perfect place to store the bins, and place laundry baskets on.

3. I bought a shoe organizer, so I no longer needed all of the old NIKE shoe boxes. But the NIKE shoe box forced me to hunt down every stray photo in my home and put it away until I have time to get to my scrapbooking.

4. I have mountains of art work in waiting, I’ll post some tips about that displaying art work during another post. But a trick I learned is to grab an unused pizza box and use it for art work storage. It is deep and wide enough to hold tons of art, inexpensive, and does not take up a lot of space.

5. An underutilized drawer in my bathroom became the perfect place to tuck magazines.

Do you have any good tips to share?

No comments: